As Official Opposition Critic for Small Business, Technology Development and Innovation, I have been having conversations with various entrepreneurs, local start-ups and IT professionals to learn how the Provincial Government can improve the climate for technology and innovation in Ontario.
I am also organizing a Tech Committee and will be meeting with tech professionals and representatives from start-ups across the province to discuss what policies and initiatives the Ontario government should undertake to improve our tech sector. We will discuss topics such as 5G networks, rural broadband, data privacy, enabling a transition to green technology, and innovating for a just transition as we enter the world of automation. You are encouraged to bring your suggestions! Email my office at [email protected] for more information.
TechTalk 1: Divergence
- In the future, will your therapist send you home with a portable EEG? Can modifying your brainwaves improve your mental health? Divergence is working on it.
TechTalk 2: Vaccine Finder App
- Want to know where to get vaccinated?
Just ask the app Ashish and Zain created - they did in three hours what the Ontario government couldn't do in a year.
TechTalk 3: Hypha Worker Co-operative
- Tech workers - Would you want to work in a start-up where decisions are made democratically and everyone has an equal ownership share?
Maybe a worker co-op is the right place for you.
TechTalk 4: Research and Innovation at York University
- Wheelchairs controlled with eye movement? Wigs designed by artificial intelligence? Join me for this discussion with representatives from York University's Research and Innovation Centre.
TechTalk 5: Tech Masters
- From startup to enterprise, Ahmad Nassri discusses how he navigated the world of tech as a newcomer to Canada and making Ontario a global tech leader.
- In this episode, I speak to a grade 9 student who has used seismic data to measure the effectiveness of lockdowns.
TechTalk 7: QR Codes for Contact Tracing
- Could this app prevent the next pandemic and even the seasonal flu? Enjoy this interview with Chris Gale and special guest host Dini Petty.
TechTalk 8: Toronto Global
- Can cold calls attract tech companies? Stephen Lund from Toronto Global promotes growth in Ontario's tech ecosystem.
TechTalk 9: Saving Lives with Sound
- Can changing the sounds of medical alarms actually save lives? I sit down with Professor Michael Schutz from McMaster University.
TechTalk 10: VFX and Animation
- Have you ever wondered how they create the special effects in movies that we love? VFX and animation experts explain how Hollywood creates the special effects in the movies that we love! If you’re curious about VFX, or want to learn more about how movies are made, this episode is for you!
TechTalk 11: Log4j and Cybersecurity
- Is your data safe? In December 2021, a software flaw in Log4j left thousands of organizations across the globe vulnerable. Government websites in Quebec and Metrolinx's GO Transit site were temporarily shut down.
TechTalk 12: TipTap
- Learn about how Ontario tech start-up TipTap is revolutionizing donations for charities and non-profits!
TechTalk 13: AI Hedge Funds
- In this episode, I sit down with Peter George, owner and founder of the first A.I. hedge fund in Canada.