Webinars, Public Consultations & Town Halls
Waterfront For All Speaker Series
- Waterfront For All is hosting waterfront advocate and sailor Ron Jenkins to discuss the Toronto Island Airport and its alternative histories. In its years on the Island, the airport could have become many things. Click here to RSVP for July 20th at 7 pm.
Chinese Tenant Rights Town Hall
- To raise awareness among Chinese-speaking tenants about their rights, organizing, and housing accessibility, this tenant rights town hall will be held in Cantonese and Mandarin on Thursday, July 22, 2:00-4:00 pm. Translation provided. For more information and registration: https://www.jessicabellmpp.ca/tenantrights
Shaping Sustainability in Ontario Virtual Conference
- On July 28 at 9:15 am, join the Lieutenant Governor of Ontario, Hon. Elizabeth Dowdeswell, for this one-day virtual conference that will explore not only what Her Honour has learned, but how Ontarians are laying the groundwork for continued positive change for the future, bringing together some of her most memorable and fascinating experiences. Register here.
Town Hall: Indigenous Voices with Special Watch Party
- On Thursday, July 29 at 6:30 pm, join Soundstreams, host Arts Etobicoke, and special guest speakers composer Ian Cusson, mezzo-soprano Rebecca Cuddy, and artist, activist, Knowledge Keeper, and historian Philip Cote for a lively discussion, along with Soundstreams Founding Artistic Director Lawrence Cherney and staff. What role do the arts play in uncovering and highlighting Indigenous experience? Can they help in providing insight into shared history? Register here.
Ontario Digital Privacy Consultation
- The Ontario Government released a white paper outlining proposals to strengthen privacy protections across the province. The Ministry of Government and Consumer Services is seeking to address gaps in Ontario's legislative privacy framework and to establish comprehensive, updated rules to protect privacy rights and support innovation. There has been some concern around the move from the Ontario Chamber of Commerce - read more here. I urge you to review the white paper, and send in your comments to the Government, as well as a copy to my office at [email protected] so we can advocate for your recommendations. More information is available here.
Ontario Place Virtual Rally Event Recording
- The Future of Ontario Place Project, along with Ontario Place for All and Architectural Conservancy Ontario hosted a virtual rally on Thursday, May 13, 2021 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Ontario Place. We are expecting an announcement from the Minister about the future of Ontario Place shortly, so I spoke at this rally to reiterate that Ontario Place must remain a public space, and the Ontario government should consult with the owners of this valuable waterfront land (public taxpayers) before making any development decisions.
Watch the recording of the virtual rally here, and hear the statement I made in the legislature here.
Sign our petition calling on this government to respect local planning.
Vaccine Registration Assistance
The Spadina-Fort York Community Care program will be helping seniors 50 and older who are having trouble registering for a vaccine. Please email [email protected] or call 647-904-6637.
If you manage a co-operative housing building or an organization with seniors or other vulnerable residents, please complete this form to request assistance.
If you would like to volunteer with this event or other Spadina-Fort York Community Care activities, please complete this form.
Community Recognition Ceremony
On Saturday February 6, 2021, I hosted my virtual Community Recognition Ceremony and was joined by more than 120 community members via Zoom and social media. It was a wonderful opportunity to recognize and celebrate the amazing things that people are doing in the riding. Thanks to all of you who attended and to Phusion and Newchoir for their uplifting performances!
For those of you who were not able to join, you can view the recording here.
Congratulations to all the award recipients:
Outstanding Youth Leadership:
Angela Bischoff, Director, Ontario Clean Air Alliance
Community Building through Arts and Culture:
Isorine Marc, Executive Director, Jamii
Rob Sysak, Neighbourhood Director, West Queen West
Sri Selvarasa, Manager, Little India
Angelo Bertolas, Co-chair, York Quay Neighbourhood Association
Eli Brown, Founder, Shine the Light On
Richard Dunwoody, Executive Director, Project Recover
Bill Dyck, Toronto Alliance Church
Carolyn Johnson, Co-chair, York Quay Neighbourhood Association
Suzanne Kavanagh, St. Lawrence Neighbourhood Association, West Don Lands Committee
Alicia Liebregts, Liberty Village Cares
Curtis Priest, Garment District Neighbourhood Association
Joan Prowse, Chair, Bathurst Quay Neighbourhood Association
Cynthia Wilkey, West Don Lands Committee
Outstanding Community Service from a Group:
Alexandra Park Volunteer Cooking Team
Spadina-Fort York Community Care Program Volunteers
Outstanding Leadership in the Chinese Community:
Simon Zhong, Executive Director, Toronto Community & Culture Centre
Outstanding Community Leadership:
Mohsin Khattak, Director, Scadding Court Community Centre
Donna Harrow, Executive Director, Alexandra Park Community Centre
Kevin Lee, Executive Director, Scadding Court Community Centre
If you missed our holiday social on Saturday, December 12 at 7:00 pm, HOLI-PALOOZA, you can watch it here:
• Experience an exciting performance by the lead artist from Toronto trio, Phusion!
• Sing along with Toronto's first rock choir, Newchoir!
• Test your knowledge with an interactive trivia challenge!
• Plus, a special visitor from the North Pole!
Community Town Hall
Thank you to Olivia Chow and to everyone who joined me for the Community Town Hall. Most of the conversation focused on the issue of homelessness. If you weren’t able to participate, you can listen to the recording here.
Ontario Line Town Hall
Thank you to everyone who joined me last week for this very informative discussion with Metrolinx representatives. If you missed the meetings, you can view both recordings on my Youtube channel here and here. I have included some helpful links about the project below:
- Ontario Line – Environmental Assessment Process Overview here
- Draft Ontario Line Environmental Conditions Report here
- Ontario Line Initial Business Case here (includes information on ridership projections)
More information about the Ontario Line can also be found here including an option to sign up for e-newsletter updates from Metrolinx here. The Metrolinx Engage website here also hosts detailed information about the project including neighbourhood-specific updates on the “Get Engaged” page here. You can also submit questions directly to Metrolinx here or post comments or questions on the public forum here.
Anti-Racism Town Hall
Click this link to watch our discussion as we answered questions from a live audience submitted via chat, and we discussed how Ontarians can take part in the growing anti-racism movement.
Support Chinatown Town Hall
If you missed this event, the full video is available here.