Small Business Grants
$5.4 Million in Grants for BIAs and Non-Profits
The City of Toronto and funding partners FedDev Ontario and Metrolinx announced $5.4 million in funding for businesses. Unfortunately, these grants are not open directly to small businesses. The Business Improvement Area (BIA) would have to apply on behalf of the small businesses they represent and the funding be used to benefit the affected area.
Applications are now open for the following grants:
- Funding from $25,000 to $100,000
- This program offers funding for BIAs and not-for-profit organizations to test innovative and creative solutions to local challenges and share their findings and results with others. Deadline for applications is Thursday, March 16.
- Grants of up to $24,000
- This program offers matching funding of 50% to commercial business operators and owners of vacant storefronts (or, in certain limited circumstances, at risk of becoming vacant) to undertake interior improvements, assisting businesses to re-lease space impacted by COVID-19. Improvements to meet health regulations and Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) compliance are also included.
- The maximum grant available is $20,000. Further funding of up to $4,000, for a maximum grant of $24,000, is available for upgrades to meet accessibility standards. Deadline for applications is Tuesday, February 28 or until funds are fully expended, whichever comes first.
- Grants of up to $50,000
- In partnership with FedDev Ontario and Metrolinx, the City has launched this program for BIAs, non-profit organizations and charities demonstrating a strong local business involvement. This grant will provide funding for community-driven projects that address the unintended effects that transit construction can have on local businesses.
- These grants can be used for various initiatives, such as business engagement, area marketing and branding, creative event activations, research and needs assessment and beautification. Deadline for applications is Thursday, March 2 or until funds are fully expended, whichever comes first.
Small Business Resources
Here’s a listing of City of Toronto resources and programs to help support businesses during the COVID-19 pandemic:
- City of Toronto Small Business Resources
- BusinessTO Support Centre: one-on-one virtual support for businesses
- Free webinars offered by Enterprise Toronto: year-round learning opportunities for entrepreneurs and small business owners
- Digital Transformation Resources: help accessing and adopting digital tools, technologies and services
- BusinessTO News: weekly newsletter with resources and supports to help businesses mitigate the impacts of COVID-19
- Reopening guides and information on financial relief and support programs